01 October 2013

A Early Autumn Meal

The wee city of Windsor seems to have no regard for the whole "seasons" idea. The weather man has cheerfully forecasted a high of 76 degrees Fahrenheight or 24 degrees Celcius for today. Ladies and gentlemen, it is October 1st. Now, to clarify, I am not complaining.  I am merely noting that this is not how I understand the concept of fall. Where I come from, the wee leaves do, in fact, fall from the spectacularly colored trees. The breeze does, actually, begin to bite. And I do, indeed, where my delicious knit scarves and buttery leather boots.
 

Not to worry though, the cheerful weather has allowed me to take (short. very short.) jogs along the river. It has allowed me to meander through farmers markets and enjoy the fruits and produce in the dazzling Mid-Western sunlight. 

BUT. The thing is, my birthday happens to come at the end of this fine month. I have always associated my birthday month with the smells and sights and sounds of autumn!  So, with those thoughts in mind and a few lonesome potatoes on my counter, I found myself making soup a few afternoons ago. 
Even though all I had was potatoes, carrots, onions and a few sparse herbs, I was determined for fall my friends. And so my creamy potato soup began. 

Peeling my little potatoes was difficult, because we have a peeler that does not peel. I did it the old school way with a wee pairing knife. It was kinda cool, because I felt like a wood-carving cowboy. 


Then I diced little baby carrots and tossed them with salt, pepper, and cumin! Into the oven they went for roasting.


What's a soup without the classics? I chopped some onion and minced my garlic.


Carrots roasted and onions sautéed, it was time for some simmering.




The one thing about potato soup is, it screams "Garnish me! Garnish me!" And well, when you hear that call, my friends, you must heed it. I fried up some deliciously crispy bacon and chopped a bit of scallion. Oh, and there may have been be some luscious sour creme in there, as well.




And that is how I managed to simulate fall on a near 80 degree, late September day. No leaves were falling nor were my feet tucked in toasty boots, but there was soup. And where there be soup, there be coziness. After all, that's why we love so much. It's a time of complete coziness. 

Stay cozy and stay classy my friends!
xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment